PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) is a condition that occurs following the experience of trauma, whether first-hand or by witnessing it. Those who have experienced trauma and have stress reactions to it, can develop PTSD.
PTSD is categorized as a mental illness, and symptoms can range from flashbacks, difficulty sleeping, detachment, or can manifest itself in other forms of self-harm or mental illness such as depression or addiction.
- Flashbacks, or reliving the trauma
- Intense fear
- Loss of interest in activities and hobbies
- Guilt, worry or depression
- Difficulty remembering the trauma
- Difficulty sleeping
- Severe emotional distress
- Negative feelings towards people/places
- Feeling emotionally numb
- Difficulty maintaining relationships
- Self-destructive behaviour: eating disorders, addiction, etc.
- Trouble concentrating
- Panic attacks or anxiety